≡ Menu

Deadly Fire In Perm Kills 109

Lame Horse Nightclub Fire proves deadly

A deadly fire in the City of Perm in the Urals appears to have been sparked by fireworks which landed on a highly combustible ceiling.  The fire’s early stages are caught on camera and prove to be graphic and an all too familiar sight to the Station Night club Fire.

According to the AP

Shocked residents of the Urals city of Perm laid carnations Sunday at the snowy scene of a cordoned-off nightclub where officials say at least 112 people died in a fire.

The blaze, in the early hours of Saturday, was thought to be sparked by fireworks that shot into the decorative twig ceiling of the Lame Horse nightclub during a pyrotechnics show. Nearly 100 were killed on the spot, and some 130 were hospitalized, many in critical condition.

Many victims were trapped in a panicked crush for the exit as they attempted to escape the flames and thick black smoke.

The video below is graphic and shows the early stages of the fire, the exiting of the building and a portion of the response from first responders.

Warning this is a graphic video

This scenario reminds of all of the diligence of an inspector.  According to some reports the owners of the club were advised to remove the combustible interior finish multiple times.

Others Sources

{ 9 comments… add one }

  • Jeff Allen December 7, 2009, 9:00 am

    All of the states will not and are not making enforcement and harsh penalties for fire code violations mandatory. I am against federal regulations but this is one area where we need the federal government to step up to the plate and mandate enforcement with criminal penalties for repeat violators. How many more deaths will it take before somebody realizes how important this issue is?

  • Brian Batten December 7, 2009, 11:33 am

    I like the fact that the President of Russia has come out and stated they need to address the weaknesses in their fire codes. Let’s hope that he and his staff follows through. This fire is just another reminder of how unaware the public is regarding fire safety. You have to wonder how many of those people attend that club every weekend, maybe nightly? How many of them gave any attention to the hazardous conditions they may encounter? The owners are simply playing, can we say, “Russian Roulette”, betting on nothing serious happening.

    Sad, our prayers will go out to the victims and their families.

  • Mike Toika December 7, 2009, 11:44 am

    As with Station Night Club, this fire was due to the greed of the owners to make a buck. As Fire Inspectors, we need to cut through the red tape of Authority Having Jurisdiction and be granted the sole responsibility to make the decision to stop events like this from happening, even if it means shutting the business down. Without that ability we will continue to see the business owners make bad decisions and the people we are sworn to protect be the ones who are hurt, injured, or killed. Too many times, when severe violations are noted, and not corrected, a fire district inspector, or city inspector will have their hands tied by administrations whose politics outweigh what we all know is correct.

    • Marc D. Phipps January 6, 2010, 10:30 am

      I mostley agree with you on greed, but being a fire inspector for many years have learned that most people do not understand codes for interior finish and flame resistance. They just go to a store and by decorations and interior finish products that will look good for thier ideas but no nothing of using rated material that has been tested. Maybe they do not even have the codes that American fire inspectors are so careful to inforce so that tragedies like this do not happen on their watch. Unfortunately these items can be put up after your yearly inspection and would not be caught again until next years annual inspection unless someone informs you of the modifications. Public education in these areas just do not happen. We teach children fire safety but have no good way to inform business owners of the importance of rated interior finish codes for places of public assemblage.

  • Wayne Morris December 7, 2009, 2:11 pm

    Ditto to Mile’s comment, Amen brother….

  • Paul Dove December 8, 2009, 2:41 pm

    5 Stars for Mike Toika!

  • Brian Wilk December 9, 2009, 10:34 am

    Ditto to all above comments. Greed and money is the root of all evil. People are not expentable. What is the value of human life. As a former fire inspector and now a safety manager I see things from both ends, compliance and greed. Always do the best you can and make a differance. Enforce the code and educate and at the end of the day say to yourself well done. I respect and appreciate all you do.
    Quote ” Asking me to overlook a fire violation would be asking me to comprimise my entire additude toward the value of your life”

  • Brian Wilk January 3, 2010, 2:17 am

    I was in the nightclub fire that occurred at the Station Nightclub in Rhode Island back in 2003. Watching this video I realize that STILL people have not learned and have no care for others. This tragedy is an unfortunate replica of what happened in Rhode Island. We do not need to repeat our mistakes to learn from them. It’s beyond words to what I feel towards the people who owned this club.

  • Nick Markowitz Jr. January 6, 2010, 8:59 am

    And the shame of it is it could just as well happen right here in the USA again.
    we get tough we enforce and then we get lax and we repeat the cycle.
    Just look to the devastating fires in early 1900’s did we ever really learn anything I think not.
    All we can do in our community is lead by example and hope others will follow.
    Because there are many who do not care to follow codes or care about there fellow man.

Leave a Comment