ICC Hearings have big votes with over 1800 voters
Building and Fire Safety professionals from across the United States participated in the Code Development hearings in Baltimore. Today was a busy day with various code proposals found in the International Residential Code (IRC). These included revisions on stairways, general provisions, fire sprinkler provisions and many more.
Some of the more anticipated votes included
- RB53, would have changed the sprinkler provisions that affect Townshouses was removed by the proponent.
- RB54, added language to make sprinklers an option. The committee voted in favor of (7-4) to deny the code change while the floor action was requested and confirmed the committee action to keep sprinklers in the code.
- RB 56, was disapproved by the committee (7-4)
- RB 57, removed by submitter
- RB 55, disapproved (10-1) by committee
- RB31, RB 84, RB85, RB 86, RB87, RB88, were denied by committee and some floor votes were had. There were multiple proponents and there has been a combined effort to make sure these code changes are further developed and heard at the appropriate final action hearing with a comprehensive change.
Its important to remember that this is just the first step in the code development process for the 2012 I-Codes. The code development process will need to continue into the final action hearings which will occur in the summer/fall of 2012.